The Australian Citizen Science Association (ACSA) is strongly committed to protecting your privacy while interacting with our website.
Collection of personal information
We collect personal information when you provide it to receive specific ACSA services or products. This information is stored in a secured ACSA database. The information will only be used for its intended purpose, or directly related purpose, as stated on the pages or forms where you submit it, and will not be added to a mailing list, unless this is the purpose for which you have provided the information. The information you provide will not be used for any other purpose without your consent.
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- your name;
- images of you;
- your contact details, including email address, mailing address, street address and/or telephone number;
- your age and/or date of birth;
- your credit card details;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- your preferences and/or opinions;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys;
- details of products and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, and our response to you;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
- for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to run competitions and/or offer additional benefits to you;
- for advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our products and services and information about third parties that we consider may be of interest to you; and
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have.
We may be required on occasion to disclose your personal information to third parties eg if required by law or to provide the service you requested. For example, in purchasing products online, we will need to disclose personal information to third parties in order to bill and deliver your products. Other than these occasions, we will not disclose your personal information for any other purpose unless you have authorised us to do so.
Under no circumstances will we sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
Names and email addresses of ACSA employees and members appearing on this website are provided with their knowledge and assent.
Interacting – Commenting, Blogs, Public Forums, Discussion Group etc
There are interactive features on some of our website eg blog posts, forums and ACSA’s discussion group. Online forms and forums record information on clearly labelled fields. The information you provide will be solely used for the purposes stated on the page/form.
This information becomes available to anyone with access to the Internet. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information. Online information is accessible to millions of users all over the world, may be indexed by search engines and copied and used. Once published on our website, we have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure. If you post personal information online, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Please do not post any information that you do not want seen in these public areas.
ACSA monitors content regularly but if you encounter any message which you consider offensive or in breach of our conditions, please alert us immediately.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and Security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
If you do not wish to use the internet, we can be contacted by telephone or mail – c/o Faculty of Science, Partner Engagement and Outreach, Room 231, Level 2 Carslaw Building F07, University of Sydney, NSW 2006 – tel: 0423 902 810.
Cookies and web beacons
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Australian Citizen Science Association ABN 68 618 948 271
Phone: 0423 902 810.
Last updated: 29 November 2018